Be an advocate now! Meet with your legislators locally during the upcoming congressional recess to educate them about Nephrotic Syndrome and FSGS and to ask for their assistance with key legislative and policy issues.
Members of Congress will be in their districts from Monday, August 1st until Friday, September 2nd, Legislators use this time away from Capitol Hill to meet with their constituents and learn about the issues impacting the people they represent. Advocates for NephCure Kidney International can use this opportunity to schedule meetings with the local offices of their members of Congress to educate legislators about Nephrotic Syndrome and FSGS and how they can assist and support affected individuals. You do not need to be an expert in government to be effective, you just need to be willing to tell your story. NKI will assist you with the rest. Taking action is easy:
– Inform NKI of your interest in making a local congressional visit by contacting our Washington Representative, Philip Goglas II at Goglas@hmcw.org. At this time, please provide Phil with your address and zip code so he can identify your legislators.
– Consider making a local visit as a group, either with colleagues or other affected individuals from your area that you are in contact with.
– Familiarize yourself with the issue briefs and talking points below. NKI will also send you branded advocacy materials to provide to the office(s) that you meet with. These materials include comprehensive information that can assist you with discussing these topics.
– NKI will send you the contact information for the local congressional office near you. Please call this office and work to schedule a recess meeting at a time that is convenient for you or your group’s schedule.
– NKI’s Washington Representatives are available to advise and assist you with making an effective local visit. Please let NKI know if you would like any training and we will connect you with the appropriate folks so they can support your efforts and answer any questions you might have.
– Meet with the local office, tell your story, ask them for their assistance on key issues, provide them with the leave behind materials, and then report back to NKI with a brief summary of your discussion and whether you believe any follow up is needed.
About the Issues
Each year, NKI outlines a federal advocacy agenda that is focused on advancing medical research, facilitating treatment development, and improving healthcare. This agenda is comprised of contemporary legislative and public policy issues impacting the kidney community. In order for a member of Congress to understand and take appropriate action on these issues, their office needs to be properly educated by a constituent. To be successful in your meetings you will not need to remember complicated political information, you just need to tell your story.