Liposorber LA-15 System is a blood processing system used outside of the body. This device removes certain lipoproteins from the patients blood. The Liposorber LA-15 System is used in pediatric patients diagnosed with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) either before transplant, or after a kidney transplant in which there is a recurrence of FSGS.
Why is the Liposorber LA-15 System needed for FSGS patients?
The Liposorber LA-15 System is indicated for use in the treatment of pediatric patients with nephrotic syndrome associated with primary FSGS when standard treatment options are unsuccessful or the patient is post renal transplantation.
The adsorption columns have been shown to effectively remove lipids from the plasma in adults with familial hypercholesterolemia. The device system may also provide a similar benefit to many pediatric patients with FSGS who also have hyperlipidemia. The Liposorber® LA-15 Adsorption Columns may also remove other factors in the blood, including substances that help FSGS progress.
How should I/my child use the Liposorber LA-15 system?
The Liposorber LA-15 System is composed of the following:
- Blood withdrawal line
- Regeneration line
- Plasma line
- Blood return line
- A set of five connection lines
- Membrane filter
Treatment with this system is conducted at a medical clinic, and each takes approximately 2-3 hours. The system is indicated for up to 12 uses in 3 months of treatment (twice weekly for three weeks, then once weekly for six weeks).
What are the possible side effects of the Liposorber LA-15 System?
You may experience some of these side effects while on this treatment. Check with your doctor if you continue to have any of these side effects and they do not go away:
- Cardiac (including myocardial infection)
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- Reduction in Vitamin E level
- Transient decrease in serum protein and albumin level
- Abdominal symptoms
- Angina/chest pain
- Prolonged bleeding (at cannulation site)
- Device malfunction
What are precautionary measures I/my child should take while on the Liposorber LA-15 System?
The device must not be used in:
- Patients who have been treated with ACE-inhibitors within the past 24 hours
- Patients for whom adequate anticoagulation cannot be achieved, such as severe hemophilia, severe hemorrhage diathesis, severe gastrointestinal ulcers, or who are receiving vitamin K antagonist medications after surgery
- Patients for whom extracorporeal circulation therapy with Liposorber LA-15 cannot be tolerated such as those with severe cardiac insufficiency, acute myocardial infection, severe cardiac arrhythmia, acute apoplexy, or sever uncontrollable hypertension or hypotension
- Patients with hypersensitivity to dextran, heparin or ethylene oxide
*Note: The decision to prescribe a medication is the responsibility of your physician/primary care provider based on his/her evaluation of your condition. The above is meant for informational purposes only. Discuss this information and all information about drugs/medications with your physician before starting or stopping any medication.