Need an on-the-go snack? Want to switch up the breakfast routine? Try making some of Chef Sachet’s kidney-friendly granola. As a mother and caregiver to a young boy suffering from FSGS, her recipes are tried and true for those following kidney conscious diets.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: A LOT!
- 6 cups oats
- 3 cups toasted shaved almonds
- 1 1/2 cups toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup plumped raisins, dried cranberries
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss oats with honey, syrup and oil.
- Lay onto a non-stick baking sheet and toast in the over at 375 degrees for 20 min (or until oats are toasted and stiff). Be careful as to not over toast the oats as they will burn and turn bitter!
- Let oats cool completely, then toss with other ingredients.
- Store in a sealed cereal container or mason jar.
- Nuts (always use unsalted) provide a great source of protein for those trying to stay away from high phosphates in meat.
- Add some m&m’s and dried apricots and you got yourself a yummy trail mix!
- Add some yogurt, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of honey and you got yourself a delicious breakfast alternative!